Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Chasm by Randy Alcorn

Allegories are tricky things.  I just don't think Alcorn pulled this one off.
I think this book is supposed to be a Pilgrim's Progress type of book.  But it falls short, both in length and in quality.  Alcorn has some great spots, such as. "I saw in his eyes the explosions of thunderstorms, the collisions of galaxies."  (58)  That quality of writing is sparse. 
Here is an example of more the consistent style, "The beast raised his fearsome battle-ax above my head.  Trembling, I looked into the shark eyes of my gloating executioner.  The ax fell.  But just as it came upon me, Shark Eyes disappeared.  The Shining Warrior disappeared.  All the combatants from both sides disappeared.  All the people on the plain popped back into normal view, as solid as the warriors had been the moment before."  (32)  Just when I was getting into the action, the characters disappeared!  What is that all about?
As I said, allegories are very tricky.  It takes particular writing skill to pull off an allegory, I think.  I found this book very disappointing.
Apparently this book is a sort of synopsis of Edge of Eternity.  At the end of the book, Alcorn does say if you want to know more about the character's life, see that book.
there is a discussion guide, chapter by chapter, at the end of this book.

Multnomah, 110 pages.

No comments: