Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Stars Uncharted by S K Dunstall

I grew up reading science fiction and still like to take the plunge from time to time. Dunstall takes us to a future with ships racing through space, worlds to be discovered and fortunes to be made. Ships can nullspace, reminding me of Kirk's Enterprise zipping from one location to another. There are plasma canons, havoc bombs, ionizers, and all kinds of futuristic weapons. There is the hunt for an elusive treasure, something for which a huge company is willing to kill to find.

The futuristic machines I found most interesting and ones forming an essential part of the plot were those modifying human bodies. Modders are people trained to use the machines. Nika, a main character, is an expert in the field. I was fascinated by the possibilities, a new nose, fat removed, remaking damaged body parts, even a change in gender. That concept brought an interesting aspect to this sci-fi adventure and made me wonder what the future might be like with DNA manipulation.

I recommend this novel to readers who like a good shoot 'em up science fiction adventure.

You can read the first chapter here. The book releases August 14.

My rating: 4/5 stars.

S K Dunstall is the pen name for Sherylyn and Karen Dunstall, sisters who have been telling stories – and sharing them with each other – all their lives. Around five years ago, they realized the stories they worked on together were much better than the stories they worked on alone. A co-writing partnership was born. They live in Melbourne, Australia. You can find out more at http://www.skdunstall.com/. Photo by Andrew Kopp (c) 2015

Ace, 416 pages.

I received an egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.

No comments: