Tuesday, November 11, 2008

First the Dead by Tim Downs

This is the third in the "Bug Man" series. Dr. Nick Polchak is a forensic entomologist, specializing in insects and how they interact with the dead. Dr. Polchak is sent to New Orleans as part of a government effort to help recover those stranded after hurricane Katrina. Instead, he finds bodies that don't fit in with death having been caused by the hurricane. Teaming up with a couple of quirky characters, including a stranded young black boy, Nick manages to solve the mystery. I do like this theme in mysteries (I read Kathy Reichs) but this is the weakest of the Bug Man novels so far. The plot seems to be a bit far fetched and the Christianity is close to missing altogether. The fourth in the series has just come out and, yes, I'll read it (but I will get it through my public library rather than buy the book).

No comments: