Sunday, September 5, 2021

Speed Reading by Kam Knight

This may be the most practical book I have read on increasing reading speed. Rather than nearly impossible exercises, Knight concentrates on slight changes, shifts in habits that speed up reading and ones that slow you down. He says what is important is not how fast you make it through the text but how fast facts and ideas are understood.

Knight writes about setting a clear purpose for your reading, identifying what you hope to gain from reading the material. He suggests previewing the material to give your mind a framework for the reading process. He gives practical instruction for chunking, using peripheral vision, reducing sub-vocalization, and much, much more.

The one suggestion that struck me was adjusting the reading speed for the type of book. I have been practicing that especially as I tend to read fiction and nonfiction in the same way. I am making good progress.

I recommend this small book to readers who would like some practical ideas for increasing reading speed and absorbing what is read.

My rating: 4/5 stars.

Kam Knight is a coach, writer, and author of several bestselling books in the area of mental health performance such as memory, concentration, and reading.

Mindlily, 127 pages.

I received an egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.

(My star ratings: 5-I love it, 4-I like it, 3-It's OK, 2-I don't like it, 1-I hate it.)

No comments: