Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Indistractable by Nir Eyal with Julie Li

Who hasn't glanced up at the clock and been surprised at the time? How had I spent so much time on social media? Did I still have time to get my tasks done for the day?

Reading this book helped me understand our love affair with all those devices that distract us. Programmers of social media design their sites so we want to check just one more post. Eyal and Li help us control those distractions so we can live the life we want and experience the incredible power of following through on intentions.

They address the issues of internal triggers, those discomforts that lead us off track. They tackle external triggers like notifications and texts. They provide practical strategies like creating time boxes and turning off notifications. I was surprised about their information on multitasking and doing it the productive way. They have good sections on strategies for the workplace and helping our children realistically deal with tech devices.

I found this book to be very informative and helpful. I feel I have the tools to help me craft the daily life I choose, not one that is sucked away by pesky distractions. You can find out more and get free resources at https://www.nirandfar.com/ .

My rating: 4/5 stars.

Nir Eyal taught behavioral design at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford. He writes, consults, and teaches about the intersection of psychology, technology, and business at NirandFar.com.
Julie Li cofounded NirandFar.com, where she works to bring the latest insights on time management, behavioral design, and consumer psychology to a growing global audience.

BenBella Books, 300 pages.

No comments: